A dramatic viral video of the incident captures the moment the vehicle hurtled across a field at the airport - sending a cloud of dust into the air - and drove near the runway with police in hot pursuit.
Police said they began pursuing the white Mercedes when it was spotted speeding the wrong way down a nearby highway.
A driver crashed through glass doors at Lyon global airport and sped on to the runway before being chased down by police.
Nobody was injured in the incident, which led to the suspension of all flights in and out of Lyon Saint-Exupery airport, situated in the east of the city.
A video posted online showed the auto smashing into the building with a bang and showed the view afterwards of the smashed doors on either side.
He then smashed into a toll booth and charged across airport land chased by 20 police and gendarmerie cars, motorcyclists and a helicopter.
You'll know when I know - Federer not thinking retirement
The Serb, a two-time champion, faces American Tennys Sandgren, while 2006 victor Sharapova plays Sorana Cirstea. Kyrgios reached the third round by seeing off France's Pierre-Hugues Herbert 4-6, 7-6 (8/6), 6-3, 6-0.
Rafael Nadal defeats Dominic Thiem in US Open quarter-final
When that emblem of career longevity Serena Williams was asked Tuesday night following her win in the U.S. I think we nearly all the time have great matches.
Burt Reynolds Dead at 82 After Reported Heart Attack
Reynolds released his memoir, But Enough About Me in 2015 and spoke candidly with ET about his decades-long life in the spotlight. His family settled in Riviera Beach, Florida , after his father, who served in the Army, returned from Europe in 1946.
A source close to the case said the man suffered from psychiatric problems but did not have a police record.
"Pursued by police, he smashed through Terminal 1 before reaching the runway area", the government prefect's office said in a statement.
The driver eventually abandoned his auto on the airport tarmac and tried to flee on foot but was surrounded by officers and arrested.
The airport's operator said a Twitter that after an "incident" traffic had been suspended until further notice.
The driver, dressed in dark clothing, then abandoned the auto and fled on foot.
He added that auto was "almost certainly stolen", with a source close to the inquiry saying it had Luxembourg license plates.
- Here's what happened when AS Roma simulated the Champions League Draw
- Steve Bannon dropped from New Yorker Festival after outrage from speakers
- Emery insists Arsenal will continue to play out from the back
- Awesome astronaut photos show hurricanes swirling in the Atlantic
- Film star Gerard Depardieu denies claims he assaulted & raped 22yo actress
- Yankees Acquire Andrew McCutchen From Giants
- Manchester City wary of Shakhtar threat as European reunion looms
- McCain honored as his body lies in state at the US Capitol
- Osaka claims U.S. Open title after Serena meltdown
- Tottenham deserved 'wake-up call' against Watford - Mauricio Pochettino