Here in the USA, the technology has yet to be made legal, though vehicles are already being sold with video screens that replace the center rearview mirror.
Lexus will offer the world's first* Digital Outer Mirrors to be equipped on a mass-produced vehicle. From its namesake, it replaces the mirrors for small exterior cameras that will provide drivers a clearer view of the vehicle's surroundings. Another advantage is that Digital Outer Mirrors are shaped to resist the accumulation of raindrops and snow.
Lexus calls the system Digital Side-View Monitors and the images each camera captures are beamed to 5-inch display monitors located inside the cabin. Lexus will start offering Digital Outer Mirrors, and the first auto to get it will be the new ES saloon.
Lexus gives its new ES 'world's first' digital exterior mirrors...
Tiny cameras in a thin, rain-proof housing capture footage of what's behind the auto and transfer them to screens mounted in the area where the a-pillar meets the dashboard.
Japanese market versions of the 2019 Lexus ES will be available with digital cameras that replace conventional exterior mirrors. Lexus has also "enhanced" the view for the driver when the indicators are activated to provide better rearward vision when reversing. Each of the monitors are at the base of the front pillars. The cameras mounted on the front doors are far smaller and thinner than mirrors, for one thing, which helps improve forward visibility and reduces wind noise at highway speeds.
Primary Day in NYC: A breakdown of the races
Though she's always been an activist for her favored causes of education and same-sex marriage, running for office is new to her. But Nixon believes she can pull off an upset like other insurgent challengers have in Democratic primaries this year.
Elon Musk smokes dagga while being interviewed about space and stuff
The controversial electric-car company was also hit with the departure of two key executives. Shares of electric vehicle pioneer Tesla Inc .
Burt Reynolds Dead at 82 After Reported Heart Attack
Reynolds released his memoir, But Enough About Me in 2015 and spoke candidly with ET about his decades-long life in the spotlight. His family settled in Riviera Beach, Florida , after his father, who served in the Army, returned from Europe in 1946.
- France's Lyon airport halts flights as police chase shuts down runway
- Steve Bannon dropped from New Yorker Festival after outrage from speakers
- Extreme heat policy in effect again at US Open
- Two Malaysian Women Caned In Public For 'Attempting Lesbian Sex'
- Tropical Storm Gordon expected to move into the gulf
- Leahy says Kavanaugh was 'not truthful' about Democratic documents
- Tottenham deserved 'wake-up call' against Watford - Mauricio Pochettino
- Rafael Nadal defeats Dominic Thiem in US Open quarter-final
- Luis Enrique hails flawless start as Spain thrash Croatia 6-0
- Emery insists Arsenal will continue to play out from the back