The severity of Danny Welbeck's ankle injury will feel more unkind as he is out of contract in just seven months' time.
However, the former Manchester United striker - dubbed by the Portuguese sportspages the "Welbeck Express" such was his all-round powerful display in Lisbon 14 days previously - suffered what looked to be a serious injury in the 25th minute.
"He has been taken to hospital".
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, who was not included in the squad to face Sporting, tweeted during the match to wish his team-mate well.
"The worst news tonight are these injuries", said manager Unai Emery on Thursday night.
Arsenal fans and spectators have also taken to social media as they reacted to the painful injury suffered by the Gunners' winger.
Trump plans 'tent cities' at US-Mexico border
All of the active-duty troops are scheduled to be deployed by the end of the week, but some are already in the Rio Grande Valley. They will bring border "personnel exactly where they need to be, regardless of the conditions", he said.
Aguero reaches 150 goals in record time
Pedro found compatriot Alvaro Morata who took the touch before smashing a powerful effort past Wayne Hennessey. In the other Sunday game, Chelsea thumped Crystal Palace 3-1 in the London Derby at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea .
Red Dead 2 Legendary Bear Pelt: Here's What To Do With It
The best console to play RDR 2 on is the beefed up Xbox One X which runs the game at native 4K at a "near-locked" 30FPS. Although Grand Theft Auto V was released on a Tuesday, whereas Red Dead Redemption 2 came out on a Friday.
Arsenal said in a statement that 27-year-old Welbeck would continue to be assessed.
"But when you are playing football in competitive matches it can happen". But I think the players were concentrated on the match and we forgot this injury the next minute on the pitch. A good lad and a good friend.
The injury is the latest in a long line for a player who seems to enjoy very little luck when it comes to his fitness and several of his Arsenal teammates were clearly distressed as the England forward left the field on a stretcher.
"The best for him is now to think for the person", Emery said.
"So I think they should come out now and say you're going to give him another year".
Danny Welbeck just can't catch a break.
- Va. sisters were found dead in NYC, duct-taped together
- Cormier defeats Lewis to retain heavyweight crown
- Apple unveils its most powerful Mac mini ever
- Milan Pavkov scores twice as Red Star Belgrade stun Liverpool
- Royal Family Christmas traditions Meghan Markle must follow
- JOBS BOOM: US Companies Add a Robust 227000 Jobs in October
- Hillary Clinton on possible run in 2020: 'I'd like to be president'
- Jamal Khashoggi was risky Islamist: Saudi Crown Prince Salman
- Saints, Dez Bryant working on contract, report says
- Lego reveals six 'Overwatch' sets that are coming next year